PECAN, CRANBERRY & ORANGE MUFFINS
•1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour•1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
•1 tablespoon baking powder
•1/3 cup superfine sugar (also known as castor sugar)
•1/4 cup pecans, roughly chopped
•Zest of 1/2 orange
•3/4 cup milk
•1/2 stick butter, melted
•2 teaspoons orange juice
•1/2 cup cranberries
1. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
2. Sift the two flours and baking powder into a large mixing bowl, then stir in sugar, pecans and orange zest.
3. In a small mixing bowl, beat together the egg, milk, melted butter and orange juice.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and beat with a wooden spoon until just combined.
5. Add the cranberries and stir briefly. (Do not overmix or the muffins will be tough.)
6. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin liners, filling to around 2/3 full. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until the domes are lightly golden and firm to the touch.
7. Remove muffins from oven. Allow to cool slightly and serve while still warm.
Makes 12 muffins